Saturday, 10 April 2010

Burridge 3-2 Warsash Wasps

Wednesday 7th April
Meadowside Leisure Centre, Whiteley

Paul Andrews' tackle on Warsash Wasps' goalkeeper was decisive in Burridge becoming the first team to beat their opponents in the Southampton league this season. He scored Burridge's winning goal five minutes into the second half after chasing down a back pass. Warsash's goalkeeper was slow to release the ball. By the time he caught the scent of Dolce & Gabbana it was too late, Andrews was upon him. Andrews blocked his belated clearance with a polished size 12 Adidas. The ball landed in the back of Warsash's net. Later in the Bugle Inn, Andrews marked the occasion with a packet of pickled onion flavoured Monster Munch. He offered them around while thirstily gulping back from a tall glass of Coca-Cola. It was his second goal of the season.

Pictured above: Justin Newman lines up a free kick.

Those arriving on time at Whiteley would have noticed Rich Allan on his hands and knees reinforcing the faint pitch markings with a paint brush and a small tin of white acrylic from the boot of his van. He cannot play until his suspension runs out on 18 April. The Dolphin asked him to referee their game last week. They'd pay him thirty five quid. The league said they didn't mind a suspended player refereeing a game. They were just pleased of a referee on a Sunday morning, but Rich couldn't make it. Burridge enjoyed a good start. Sam Schwodler doesn't run, he swaggers. He gave Burridge the lead with a unique interpretation of an overhead kick. It caught Warsash's goalkeeper by surprise. It had a similar effect on some of his team mates, who made their way back to the half way line shaking their heads. Marc Judd doubled the lead when he neatly collected Bryn Schwodler's pass and tucked in number two.

Warsash didn't use the three-nil scoreline as an excuse to throw in the towel. They continued to play good passing football. Their midfield became regulars in Burridge's penalty area. It took a toll on Burridge's legs. Justin Newman readdressed the balance. He left an indelible mark on the game, it was an imprint of his studs on a Warsash's player's chest. He'd already been booked for dissent. When he left the field after an hour it was only as a substitute. Warsash made a game of it with a goal of their own. Then they were awarded a penalty. It was taken by their number eleven in a way that was completely at odds with his performance in the game. His shot ended up in a thicket of bushes behind the goal. Warsash nicked a second goal and spent the remaining ten minutes pushing hard for a third. It never came. In the end Warsash's defeat hinged on their missed penalty.

Burridge lined up in 3-5-2:

GK:Ryan Jones
DF:Paul Dyke (James Cook)
DF:Kev Willsher
DF:Sam Hewitt
RM:Sam Schwodler
CM:Justin Newman (Mark Sanderson)
CM:Krsitian Hewitt
CM:Marc Judd
LM:Bryn Schwodler
CF:Paul Andrews
CF:Lee Fielder



Eryl Shields said...

Hurrah for Paul Andrews, and Dolce and Gabbana.

Gorilla Bananas said...

What are your views on the humiliation of goalkeepers? Some probably deserve it, but I still feel sorry for Peter Bonetti's debacle in the 1970 World Cup. Has a striker ever celebrated a goal by jumping on the opposing goalie?

donn w2Nz said...

Is there any chance that the unique interpretation of an overhead kick was captured on film?

Ponita in Real Life said...

Pickled onion Monster Munch... sounds rather unpalatable to me. Although here we have Extreme Dill Pickle chips (I believe you call them crisps over there), and also Ketchup flavoured... neither of which make it onto my list of things edible.

I have no understanding of the game itself, so I couldn't possible comment on that... ;-)

Looking back (bringing back the blog)

I haven't posted here since 2012 – that’s five years of not blogging. The blog is/was about Burridge AFC, the football team I played f...